Curezone Physiotherapy, Mississauga brings the team of most experienced Orthopedic and sports physiotherapist, Chiropractor, Osteopath and RMT’s to provide you the best experience towards your recovery and treatments and to improve your quality of life.
On the first day of your appointment at our physiotherapy clinic you may undergo the following assessment to get the baseline of your injury and to make a treatment plan based on your assessment.
Musculoskeletal Testing of the injured joint
Balance, gait and coordination testing.
Retrograde and anterograde Amnesia testing
Upper motor neuron injury testing
Neuropsychological Assessment (IMPACT Testing): This is performed on patients with PCS include: memory and learning test, motor skills test, visuospatial and constructional performance testing, amnesia tests, and tests for language performance.
- The headaches or migraines are the third most common complaint following automobile collisions. These headaches may occur after minor rear-end crash to a high speed crash. This head pain disorders are often diagnosed as post-traumatic muscle contraction headaches, cervicogenic headaches or migraine. Most chronic headaches occur after the accident, originate from soft tissues and joints after cervical spine. Cervicogenic headaches, myofascial trigger point headaches, tension headaches, impact headaches and migraines are the most common types of headaches described following the neck and head injuries. Tension headaches and migraines have been found to correlate with cervical spine musculoskeletal dysfunction.
- Motor vehicle accidents indirectly or directly affect and cause pain, loss of range of motion, palpable edema, guarding muscle spasm Etc. When related to neck sprain the injury is graded into grade 1 2 and 3 based on the severity.
- Post-concussion syndrome: A post-concussion syndrome is never an immediate diagnosis following the head injury. BCS is typically made within the first few weeks in most severe injuries. It is common to see several months delay in the initial diagnosis.
There are time where we see delays in diagnosing minor post-concussion syndrome due to several factors including the patient may not be aware that he or she had a concussion or believe that the medications that he or she is taking from other entry related symptoms maybe resulting in the symptoms of dizziness, headaches, blurred vision and balance issues. It is said that sometimes, the symptoms are transient and fails to see that there is real problem for several weeks, months before informing the doctor. Many patients may not believe that they have any of such symptoms post injury so why make a big deal out of it.
The patient simply has more concerns about areas of pain that are overriding the concerns about memory loss or cognitive issues. Patient who has high level of education and those who are in jobs that require significant amount of administrative or executive functions will be more likely to notice the cognitive deficits than people who have fewer demands on their brain function. Some people are better able to cope with cognitive problems than others and earlier or later may report to the doctor’s depending upon the person family and social support as it may also play in a very important role.
Some of the very common signs and symptoms of PCS are as follows: Headache, fatigue, impaired executive function, difficulty with reasoning, difficulty with attention, difficulty with blurry vision, loss of balance, loss of body coordination, loss of memory, reduce Drive and motivation, difficulty with forming Concepts language, difficulty handling multiple tasks, reduced attention span, difficulty with problem-solving, Sleep disorders, slow reaction time, absence of ability to participate, anticipate angry Outburst, , inflexibility personality, change lack of social inhibition, tremors, tinnitus, sexual dysfunction indifference to other people.
Fracture or bone bruising tractor *and Bone bruising* are very common motor vehicle accident injuries and can be diagnosed with CT scan MRI and X-rays which highlight the brightest real picture about the bone pathology.
The Cervical, thoracic, and lumbar disc injuries: The thoracic spine disc bulging herniation are uncommon when compared to cervical and Lumbar regions.
Treatment for Motor vehicle accidents at Curezone Physiotherapy Clinic
For motor vehicle accidents there are many forms of treatment that can be used to help the patient who is suffering from chronic or acute pain caused by the attained injuries, and they are the following:
- Manual therapy
- The physiotherapist will conduct a hands on procedure where techniques are used to manipulate the surrounding areas to alleviate any pain or muscle stiffness in the affected area. Manual therapy is purely hands on treatment which may include Mobilization, manipulation of the spine, Spinal adjustments, Suction cupping, Acupuncture, ART and soft tissue techniques.
- Stretching/strengthening Exercises This type of physiotherapy is used in conjunction with other therapeutic methods to work the affected muscles to either loosen built-tension or strengthen the weaker surrounding muscles. Stretching techniques includes active and passive stretching done by the physiotherapist.
- Muscle stimulation is used to focus on deeper pain in a centralized area with the use of IFC, TENS, EMS treatment
- Ultrasound would be used to heat the affected area to improve range of motion and increase blood flow.
- Laser treatment would break up the tissue fibers that are causing tension within the muscle.
Make sure you book your appointment today and get assessed by our physiotherapist now.